Monday, November 14, 2016

A bear hug, a mouse hug, take one, give one...

Bear Hugs FREE Take one! Give One! ©Shirley Ng-Benitez
For everyone – #hugsfromkidlit


Hi everyone -
It's been a very, very big and long week. 

Though you don't know me as one to talk of my political beliefs, etc., I'm writing this down now as I have to share my thoughts on why I felt compelled to join the kidlit community with the piece above.

I've listened and read so much this past week and have spent the past year and a half immersed in the political news and world events–especially our own heated and contentious US election. Our country has become such a divided place, and as I continue to educate my children, I continue to educate myself about injustices, rights, the economy, race relations, global issues, religion and of course politics. My personal feelings about the election results are mine and though you may not agree, I hope that you respect mine, but I have to say that I am truly saddened about the outcome. I am working to understand all aspects of what this means for the future, but will continue to hope for wisdom and compassion to surround the transition from the Obama to Trump Presidency, and that it guides the future President and his staff, for the betterment of our country and future generations. I state this not to go into dialog about my thoughts, but just to let you know that I continue to support and hold high the work of people who treat people equally and justly, and without prejudice. Respectful words mean something to me, they always have, they always will. Devolving can be corrected and must be corrected. We must educate others by listening, reading, learning, and doing.

I've been thinking a lot about the recent movement by Jarrett J. Krosoczka (@studioJJK on Twitter) and the kidlit community (#hugsfromkidlit on Twitter) and their efforts to bring hope to the children in our communities who may feel scared or worried, or worse. I'm joining by offering this small piece so that educators and librarians can print and post images of hope in their schools. I'll be donating to organizations who continue to work for the rights of the underprivileged and underrepresented this year as well.

If you'd like to print this for yourself, please feel free to do so.

We can all help guide our children with messages of hope, compassion, wisdom and empathy and that is what is intended for in this piece.

Sending my best for a peaceful and happy holiday season ahead to all of you ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Bonjour chère amie,

    Je suis tout comme vous très perplexe des élections aux Etats-Unis... En France nous devons élire notre président en mai et c'est aussi la galère chez nous !

    Je trouve votre illustration adorable.

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH my, Martine! I see what is happening in France as well..sending us all a collective hug as we wade into unchartered territories!! Thank you again for your kind visits and support! Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!!

      Delete
  2. Bear hugs seem like a perfect gift to many people right about now, and your bear hugs are so cute too. You, me, and many others are wishing for the best moving forward politically. I think the majority of Americans aren't prejudiced, and there are more good people than bad. Hopefully that fact will keep things sane and kids won't be so afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Linda, and I know we all are in this big country hoping and wishing for a smooth transition. I am right there with you - I think there are truly more good than bad. I will surface in 2017 sometime in spring and see how things move on..and will focus on family during the rest o' the year. I wish you a wonderful holiday season coming up!

      Delete
  3. I'll take 100 bear hugs in a paper bag, please. Oh, Shirley. What you wrote is perfect and both defiant and hopeful in the best way. I needed a lot of comforting these past 10 days, so your warm and adorable illustration helps greatly. Let's teach our children what true empathy and compassion looks like. Sending you hugs back, a thousand-fold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very belated thousand-fold hugs back my friend! Hang in there and hope that you and your sweet family are having a good holiday season so far! We are in the throes (I'm sure I spelled that incorrectly!) of college apps...wish us all luck!! :) xo

      Delete
  4. Love the idea!! I'll try to do something!! Kids are the future.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback! You rock! Thanks for your words...