Monday, October 1, 2012

"Trick or Treat!" Quilly likes candy-corn (hint, hint)

"Quilly the Candy-Corn"

 Download Quilly as a halloween card here

Happy October everyone! We're having a bit of a heatwave over here..in the high 90's today but you can feel the crispness in the air in the mornings, and the sun sets quickly now. I love the fall..my favorite time for sweaters, blankets, soups, breads and halloween treats. My husband's favorite at this time of year is candy-corn. I'm growing to like them, but my tastes are more in the chocolate-range. Kit-kats, Twix, Nestle Crunch, 3 Musketeers,..I love all of that stuff during this time of year. What's your favorite?

Swing on by to celebrate Halloween and download some wonderful kid-friendly and fun treats from the ladies of welovetoillustrate.com. They've done some outstanding work and you can grab your treat for free! : )

PS - thank you all for your kind support of my card design..the contest winners will be announced on 10/3..I will let you know what happens...and thank you for your wonderful words of support, it means a lot to me!!

PSS - On Saturday, I went to the SCBWI Illustrator Day even in San Francisco and had a whirlwind of a day of great information on children's picture books. I also had my portfolio critiqued by the Creative Director at Harper Collins..in a nutshell, she gave such a great critique (everything from "forgive me, but that's not so pretty", to, "you should do more of this!". Needless to say, I have a lot of thinking to do about where my work will go from here. I shall fully post in the next post..thanks for your patience!

18 comments:

  1. oH MY LORD this painting is adorable!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This little guy is beyond cute! Love the eagerness in his expression! Hmmm....I'm more of a chocolate person too....Snickers & Reeses peanut butter cups! And tootsie pops! (But only the grape or raspberry ones!) Good luck with the contest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this one! makes me feel all halloweeny.i can feel the excitement in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way too cute. You're not aloud to make any more cute illustrations! hahaha :) Adore. Happy October to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Shirley! And I'm with you on the sweets, I'm more of a chocolate guy than a 'plastic-y' candy guy. I have an idea for a halloween illustration as well, I can't wait to get started on it. Perfect post for the first day of October!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's such a cutie Shirley. I'm a chocolate girl too but I do like Haribos! My favourite chocolate is Lindt Lindor truffles....ooohhh just the thought! Looking forwarrd to hearing more news soon,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! he is sooo cuuute! Did you win? :)Oh I wanted to tell you that my best friend in high school lives in SF :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this!!! What a little cutie!
    I'm glad your SF SCBWI experience was successful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. QUILLY! So cute! And I'm glad you had a good conference. That's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Halloween is the best holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving Quilly! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not like candy corn, in fact I detest it. I like genuine English toffee but I will happy settle for Korean squid flakes. Do you have Lotte Korean squid flakes in San Francisco? Will you please send me some? Hahahahah! Tsup!!!

    P.S. Please do not send me Philippine or Chinese squid flakes. Okay, joke. I just wanted to make you laugh. but if you are thinking of actually sending me squid flakes, it has to be Lotte Korean squid flakes. :) Tsup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! I figured out what makes your critters so darn cute. (Well, some of it. The rest is clearly magic and unknowable!) But you don't simply paint a cute animal. You put the cutest, happiest and most adorable expressions on their faces. And Quilly is no exception!

    Also, I saw you put the London tour bus illustration in your Etsy shop! Hooray, I hope to get one soon. Looking forward to hearing about your SCBWI adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SCBWI Illustrator Days are my favorite events. I'm so glad you got such a good critique, from someone with so much experience in the field! I look forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! Maybe Myles should go as candy corn this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh he is SO sweet! I would fill that little bucket to the top with treats for him!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback! You rock! Thanks for your words...