Saturday, September 22, 2012

In the final voting round, and why does this make me uncomfortable?!

I just want to thank you all SO very much for your super support of my card design. I'm in a contest through PSPrint.com and this is final week of voting for your favorite designs. If you'd like to continue supporting my design, you can cast a vote each day this week - voting ends on 9/28.

Truth be told, I am a bit uncomfortable with posting this post..knowing that it is a blatant request for viewing and voting for my design. It's a numbers game and I suppose I have a bit of the competitive nature in me. I worry, I wait, I worry, I wait. And then, usually, almost always, I lose. It's made me wonder about myself and the motivations I have for doing such a blatant thing.

So the contest is up for public voting..and whomever gets the most votes wins. Amazon gift cards and printing of the final cards are at stake and to be honest, I envision the fun it would be to "win" the card and have it apply to something as grand as a new iPad, or some awesome art supplies! As I type this today, I reflect upon my very first "win" when it came to illustration, and what it did for my confidence and movement towards endeavoring in the field of creative arts. It was in college, and my poster won for the local festival. I remember winning a cash prize, and getting my photo taken for the city paper, but the most awesome thing that happened was getting my poster PRINTED. The poster was then sold at the festival, and funny thing, is still being sold today. This was 24 years ago! Crazy huh? I remember the thrill of being able to sign the posters and giving a few away to my family and friends...but what is even more fun is knowing that the poster was even spotted in Italy (Gilroy's sister-city is in Italy) and other parts of the world. To have your image distributed and to have a physical copy was and still is what delights me.


So regarding my "Ode to San Francisco" Card Design: whether I win, or lose, I have decided to print these up for my holiday cards this year. It's already brought me out of my office-cave to connect with family and friends and dear bloggers who mean a lot to me. Though I still am embarrassed to "get my work out there and request consideration of a vote", I am delighted to know that the positive part of this is connecting with all of you...and touching base again for it's easy to let time fly without so much of an "update".

The act of putting one's work out there for a public vote has made me think about why I do what I do, and what is the point of all of this..it's not about the win, but it's about the connections. It's about the drive to create (for this is HUGELY important to me as I now understand the depths of which this means to me), the drive to connect with others, whether it's a smile, a chuckle, or even a frown. You know how it is when you pick up a book, or see something that makes you react. That is art at it's finest, and I remember hearing the question posed in college: What is art? Is it the finished product or the act of making (say, Jackson Pollack's work). I took this to heart and have still to this day wondered what it means to me..and I must say that my view of art is that it is both! A quick summation is that I feel that art is whatever visually connects with me, whether it's the process (a play, an opera), or the finished piece (2-D, 3-D). Wow, who'd have thought entering a contest would cause such reflection?! HA! : )

Well, thank you for reading this long-winded post...and I send my thanks for all of your past and future potential votes and for visiting here..it means a lot to me. Hope you are all well! ~ Shirley

PS - if you'd like me to add you to the mailing list this holiday, please send me your address, ok?! 

9 comments:

  1. You should not be uncomfortable because it is a beautiful. Sometimes I am so lazy even to click and I have to admit I have gone to some sites that ask for very personal information like address, phone etc. but this one just asks for email address. I think if the design is awful and ugly, your friends may recoil and will do it just because they are loyal. BUT THIS IS BEAUTIFUL and I want a postcard or greeting card with this design. It is classy and elegant!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Ces! I really appreciate your support. When they ask for too much personal info, of course, no need to go any further. I am glad they simply ask for an email address..whew! Anyway, thank so much again for being such a hugely supportive friend in my efforts!! Tsup!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!! You painted that?!! I saw that poster. Oh wow. WOWOWOWOW!! Shirley, before I started watching where my money went and before the kids' needs started getting very expensive :) I used to order my garlic braids from Williams Sonoma because their garlic came from Gilroy. It was always a dream of mine to go to a Gilroy Garlic Festival.. Over here we love garlic, although I try to do it in moderation because I do not want to wear the odor in my skin! Hahahaha! May I please post something in my blog about the contest? You are so awesome!!! TSUP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley, I just voted for your card! I shall continue to vote for the remainder of the week. There's no reason for you to feel badly about this post. I think your readers are more than willing to support and encourage you on this endeavor. And besides, that's what friends are for! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went right over to vote, too! I'm rooting for you! (that's what we do in the South! heehee) You know how much I love your art! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you have my vote sweetie! and don't you dare feel guilty, that's how the contest works :) plus, it's going to make a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I voted for you and do hope you win. You're an amazingly talented and wonderful person. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! So exciting!!!! I am so excited for you! Hahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayayayayayayayayayayayay! :D

    It's been too long since I've come here. Aaaaah, I LOVE getting washed over with your beautiful paintings! Your little picture-hanger is too adorable! Hehehehehehe. And oh wow, you did this poster 24 years ago???? It's so classic looking, no wonder it's still being sold! It's gorgeous! I've always wanted to go to the garlic festival. Garlic...mmmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback! You rock! Thanks for your words...